Tuesday, November 25, 2008

X-Ray Art

I recently met a local man named Simon Badari or Lobo. He is an artist and offered to paint a picture for me. I had some blank canvases at home that I had bought to have a go at painting myself, so I gave them to him. There were 2 large canvases and 3 smaller ones. Simon painted the 2 large ones and gave the smaller ones to relatives who are also painters. I ended up buying all of them.

Here are Simons two Pictures:


This is a Magpie Goose, which are the dreaming for Argaluk, the most important hill overlooking Gunbalanya.


This is a Barramundi. The long stems are seaweed whilst the broad leaves are water lillies.

This is one of the smaller pictures. It shows the lightning man, a figure out of the local stories.




The other two pictures I bought were both painted by James Yulidjirri, one of Lobo's cousins.

This first picture shows an echidna, called Narbalek in the local dialect, and the ants he is feeding on.

The next picture is a rock wallaby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home